We enlisted chef Brian Zenner of Belly & Trumpet restaurant to help us whip up a delicious (yet simple) appetizer with our Burgundy black truffle as the hero ingredient. Your holiday guests will be wowed with this delectable dish that is prepared before they can say one, two, three …
1. You will need quarter inch slices of Benton ham (or other country ham), peeled, and blanched asparagus, eggs and a black-truffle. (Plate count depends on your party size)
2. Heat up the ham slices in a skillet with butter.
3. In a separate pan over low heat, add a small amount of butter along with the asparagus and a few shavings of black truffle.
4. In a pot of boiling water, poach the eggs, making sure the yolk remains a bit runny.
5. Lay the ham and asparagus on a plate, then place an egg on top and shave the black-truffle over all the plated ingredients.
6. Slightly cut into the yolk to break it open. Serve immediately.
Voilà! The perfect party course.
Related story: The Burgundy black-truffle